What does working from home look like?
Last Monday we began talking about creating a more flexible work arrangement at your existing job. Taking the Workfit Assessment can be an aid to opening the discussion with your employer regarding ways flexible work can benefit both of you.
First, let's establish what legitimate working from home looks like if it is to be most successful.
1. Assign a dedicated home office space with minimal distractions. The home, of course, if full of distractions but a separate space can minimize these. Remember some of the disctractions in a corporate office... gossip, long lunches, longer meetings... we're just gettting started!
2. Gather the right tools and technology to efficiently get your job done. Computer, phone, scanner, printer, etc. Can your computer or laptop already work for video conferencing? If you don't already have a built-in camera, an external webcam is straightforward to install. Conference calls are a few simple clicks away with updated technology.
3. Create a setting where you are comfortable, feel professional and will be productive. Home offices don't have to involve extravagant expenses. We found countless great ideas just by surfing Pinterest; see a few below.
4. Set your hours. Do you like to work traditional hours? Perhaps you are most productive early in the morning, or late at night. Take advantage of that flexible work time. In any case, it is critical to schedule dedicated time each day. We humans are creatures of habit. Establish a good schedule. Remember, flexible work means you can always tweak your working hours to suit your needs.
5. Stay connected to your colleagues and supervisors. It's a matter of being available while you're mobile. Consider this as you set your work hours.
6. The time that you save by not commuting to an office several days a week can be time well spent as "found time" within your work day. Janet treats herself to a golf game on the odd Friday. This is time she gets back from not commuting and working from her office home. What will you do with your commute hours? Dream big.
So take the Karma Work Workfit Assessment today and talk to your employer about your results. More jobs than you might think can be worked from home a few days per week.
Take charge, Sisters; this is your life!